North of Esme | Maker Feature

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

We're back with another maker feature. These are so much fun and we love sharing the fun details of handmade Canadian companies. This month, we're introducing you to Andrea and her business - North of Esme. Such a fun interview, we're glad she decided to do one with us. We won't spill on what exactly she makes, you'll have to read on to find out for yourself. But, we do love how unique her company is and that she is saving items from making it to the landfill. Let's not wait any longer, here's the full interview.




What is your name and company?
Andrea - North of Esme
 
Where are you from?  
Qualicum Beach, BC

What do you make?
Dresses

Where can we find you and start shopping?
Instagram: @northofesme

Does your company contribute back to the environment?
We use repurposed fabrics and laces.




The business side of the interview...

Tell us more about your company - what's your business' story or something unique that we'd love to hear?

North of Esme was created from my love of dressing up and feeling glamorous combined with my passion for seeking out unique and beautiful fabrics that may otherwise end up in the landfill. I aim to make affordable dresses that fit a wide range of women. Sometimes putting on a dress and getting a little dolled up can do a world of wonders for your mood. Being home on maternity leave, with my second babe has somehow provided me with more inspiration to follow my heart and passion and create some beautiful garments for you to wear.

How did you get started selling? What made you finally take the leap?

I am actually just getting started with dress rentals and sales. With all that is going on in the world right now, I had initially decided to push back launching anything, but I noticed that people are still living and documenting the beauty of life and wanted to make my dresses available for this.




Are you a full time or part time maker? Either scenario, tell us what a day in business looks like for you?

I am a part time maker. I’m currently on maternity leave and have a two year old and a 7 month old. When I’m not on leave I work as a registered nurse, but the goal is to go back part time and keep making dresses part time.

Finding moments here and there, in between naps and at bedtime is when I get my sewing in! There is no typical day, being a maker with young children at home is unpredictable and I’m working really hard to find some balance in that.

What does your dream storefront look like? Is it online or brick and mortar, do you work all week long, do you have employees, etc?

I would love to have a little studio store front on our property. Lots of windows and great light, somewhere close to the garden. People could come and try on dresses and even take photos in the garden if they wanted! I would work around the children’s schedules and take appointments for try ons.




Now the fun personal side...

What is your favorite colour? Why?

I’d have to say my favourite color is orange. There are so many different hues. It’s bright and cheerful and complex.

If you could only choose one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I am such a foodie. Choosing just one food is really tough. One meal I could live off though is Buddha bowls. So much variety.

Would you rather spend your vacation at the beach or sight-seeing?

I’m kind of a busy body, so my dream vacation definitely involves sightseeing.

Are you a book or movie person? Recommendations for the one you chose?

I’m definitely a movie person. I love we bought a zoo and no water for elephants. A couple of my faves.

Salty or sweet? What is your favorite of the one you chose?

Salty and savoury. Bread with baked cheese or potato chips!




How fun is this little handmade business that Andrea has? We absolutely adore her stunning dresses. The concept of having a little shop on her yard and, not only selling but, renting out these beautiful dresses, is amazing. You have a beautiful business started and we hope all of your dreams come true. Thank you again Andrea for sharing just a small piece inside of North of Esme. Once again, if you want to see more stunning dresses or get in touch with Andrea, here's where you can reach her:

Instagram: @northofesme


HC ♡

You May Also Like

0 comments