Handmade Scarf | Maker Feature

Monday, January 27, 2020

Hey! Welcome to our very first blog feature. And what better way to get it started, then to feature the person behind Handmade Canada and also owner of the Handmade Scarf. That's right - me. I've yet to share that I even have a side Instagram account (or lack there of, time is not in my favour). And some of you many not even realize that Handmade Canada is a one man (re: woman) show, that is ran 90% of the time by smart device, up until the addition of this new website this year. Before I get started with the blog feature for Handmade Scarf, I just want to introduce myself and how I ended up creating this space I can't wait to share with you.

Handmade Scarf - Thanks for Supporting Handmade

My name is Martha. I started Handmade Canada after finding zero time to market my own handmade businesses (I've dabbled in a few). I've had websites, blogs, Etsy stores, the whole works... and after putting in all of the effort to build those, I always noticed my marketing taking a back seat. And even funnier than that, my main profession 40+ hours a week, was a marketing professional, at the time. Fast forward, two kids, a lost blog... Etsy falling to the side, I continue to dabble and crave all things handmade and creative. I picture owning a small store full of handmade items, where I can spend my days basking in all of the glory that a small business and handmade items can provide. But, until then, I continue to dabble and build this online platform for adoring those same goods that bring joy to everyone. I have a very busy family life, a husband whose summers are spent in a golf profession (family time is very cherished during those months), kids with sports (yup, hockey mom) and then the 9-5 that everyone else has, now in process engineering. It's busy - but my biggest goal this year (2020) is to finally put this Handmade Canada in the front seat. I want to help everyone do what I could never find time to do and I'm hoping our Instagram and this website can help do that. Now, onto the fun part - my little handmade business.

Handmade Scarf + Martha & Family


The Interview...

Name?
Martha

Company / Location:
Besides this little corner of the web, I also own a little handmade hobby called Handmade Scarf. I am located in a small town less than an hour south of Ottawa, Ontario.  

What do you make and where can we get some?

I make flannel infinity scarves. I've most recently posted scrunchies that I am about to start selling as well. I usually sell in person, but also can be found on Facebook and Instagram.

Tell us a little more about your handmade business?

I have kept this as a seasonal hobby since it started. I usually start selling just in time for Fall and Christmas, and usually sell out and don't open again until the following year. Scarves can be bought in the New Year by request and availability, but usually it's all wrapped up before then. I tend to buy my fabric throughout the year and start making them a month before selling. I'm the last minute, work better under pressure, type.

Handmade Scarf - Scaves in Various Colours

Now onto the business side of things...

Packaging and materials aren’t always the easiest to find, any tips for fellow makers on finding those hidden gems online? Do you have a favorite supplier you’re willing to share?

I don't have the biggest secret out there. But, if you can design your own labels - do it. It takes a little more work, so depending on the size of your business, it may be easier to outsource. But, I design all of mine (of different sizes, throughout the years) on my computer (Adobe Suite, Canva) and then have them printed on 100lb stock from Staples Copy & Print Center. For small quantities, its easy, local and large quantities aren't required out of the gates. I then cut labels down to size and use creativity in how I attach it, depending on the product. 

How do you come up with new ideas? Are you a purchase the materials and go for it first, or come up with the idea first and go from there?  

I'm a daydreamer. I spend days dreaming up different business ideas. Some ideas inspired by others, some just out of the blue. Some are also driven by a need that I can't seem to fulfill - think, where is that app that does such and such a thing. Lately, I've been really considering jumping onto the zero waste bandwagon and perhaps making items out of recycled goods. You'll have to stay tuned to see if that really happens. I'm obviously a think it up first and then go looking for the materials kind of gal.


And lastly, the more fun personal stuff...

Would you rather spend your vacation at the beach or sight-seeing? 

Call me crazy, but I'd rather be sight-seeing. I love a beach, but I really love touring an old town (think Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA - my two faves). Old homes and cozy store fronts are my favourite.

Are you a book or movie person? Recommendations for the one you chose?

I'm a sucker for both, if they're good, so this is a tough one. I won't watch a movie, just to say I've watched it - if I have no interest. And books, I'm hooked on the Nicholas Sparks type. I'm going to say books and my favourite at the moment, is a cookbook, Fraiche Food Full Hearts.

Fraiche Food Full Hearts

What’s your favorite part about home? Are you a homebody?

I love that home is a safe place. We built our home a few years ago, and to this day, I am still dreaming up ways to make it custom and "finished". I love spending a day baking and relaxing with family. I am definitely a homebody when it comes to relaxing. But also wonder what it would be like traveling the world. I also think it would be way better to work from home then the office. 

Growing up, what did you always want to be? Did it ever happen?  

I always wanted to be a school teacher. When I was applying for post secondary, we were told to avoid teaching if we wanted to get a job in our area - there wouldn't be any when we graduate.

Three favorite Instagram accounts you think we should all follow, and their main focus. 

This one's tough - I'm a huge Instagram lover. But here goes, I'll try three different ones altogether:

@fraicheliving - great healthy recipes and cousin to @jillianharris (another fave)
@nestingwithgrace - interior design in a small home
@hellomaypole - feltball garland business  


That's it. We hope you enjoyed this little interview and can't wait to see more. If you want to be featured in your own blog post, check out our blog features page for more info.

Find Handmade Scarf online:


HC ♡

You May Also Like

0 comments